Wednesday, October 14, 2009

College abhors an Oxymoron

Well, for some odd reason, I found it incredibly difficult to fall asleep last night, in spite of the fact that I was about ready to collapse upon my return from home. I attribute this lack of sleep to a lack of exercise while away, and plan to start exercising again soon (by which I mean the usual walking I do here. I don't plan to actually start doing exercise). This shift should probably bring my sleeping pattern back to somewhere in the vicinity of "normal," which will be nice. However, "normal" is a relative term here for people. So while for me normal means going to bed at 12 and getting up at 8, always trying to get 8 hours; for another it may be going to bed at 2 and getting up at 7. No matter the case though, one thing is almost always true:

To have a college
Student well rested would be
An oxymoron


Yes, even with my incredible sleep schedule I too am tired. And for good reason: I'm at college. Anyone here who is sleeping well is doing something else wrong. Either they're not getting their work done, not participating in any extracurricular activities, lacking in procrastination methods, just eating poorly, or any combination of those. And what that would mean is this: They are an oxymoron. Don't worry, that's not a real moron. It's kind of like the difference between Oxiclean and clean. (Don't ask).


The title is an obscure reference to some quote saying "nature abhors a moron" (stated by H.L. Mencken, author of The American Language, and the person who dubbed the Scopes trial as "The Scopes Monkey Trial."). And yes, I may simply have Googled around for some quote with the word "moron" in it.

He also said "The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos," which I think is a pretty good quote. So pretty much I'm on par with the "sage of Baltimore" (yay, Wikipedia). Except not at all really.

No comments:

Post a Comment