Monday, October 26, 2009

Sociology 01100110 01110101 01101110

Today is another beautiful fall day. Perfect for leaf stomping, pile romping, or just plain apple chomping. From my position right now, I can not see a cloud in the sky, which makes sense considering that the angle does not allow me to see the sky. But I'm sure that if I could, I would not see clouds. It's a perfect day for tanning, if you don't mind the 50 degree weather.

I'm going to talk about sociology, but first, allow me to share a story from class today, which I found entertaining. Our professor was talking about impression management and such (I'll discuss this later), and was asking the class about dates, and the different basic things one might look at on a date. He was looking for answers like politics or religion, but phrased the question saying "look at." My friend raises his hand and says "her face." The people who got it laughed. For those who don't get it: You won't get far on a first date if you don't look at the other's face.

In sociology today, we viewed a short portion of Woody Allen's Play It Again, Sam, meant to showcase impression management and the dramaturgical perspective (Google it: I couldn't answer your question). Which made me think about sociology.

Sociology
Lessons could simply be a
New movie each day


Think about it. I swear, almost anything I learn in that class could be expressed in a part of some movie out there on the market. Any aspect of sociology be it social networks, social action and agency, McDonalization of society, rationalization (get it? It's self-contradicting and irrational! Aww, gotta love Soc. jokes), or any of a number of more exciting topics, could be expressed in some movie or another. Movies ranging from Play It Again Sam to Supersize Me, The Lord of the Rings to Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and Monty Python's Holy Grail to Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times are all completely relevant to various sociological issues. I'm sure all of you are as deeply intrigued by this as I am. Trust me, if you were taking Sociology 101, you'd want to be watching these movies in class too.

The numbers in the title are binary for "fun." No, I don't speak fluent binary, although I can do a pretty good binary solo. You win a pat on the back if you got that joke. If you didn't, watch this. That is all.

1 comment: