Monday, October 26, 2009

Crush Their Spines

I have a confession to make.

When autumn finally comes around (if you could even say that Ithaca has a fall), I like to jump on dry leaves. I know, I know: It's amazing. Some may say that it's childish. Some may say that it's just plain silly. Others may say that its a metaphor for oppression and race-based discrimination, but I think those people would be reading too deeply into it. In any case, it's incredibly fun, and that's all that matters. When you live in a world with 6 month winters, its a good idea to take advantage of the short and sweet things autumn brings (by sweet, I don't mean taste... leaves are not especially tasty. Well, dead leaves that is... by which I mean crispy and brown. That took me a while to rule out lettuce). I guess what I'm trying to say is no, I take absolutely no shame in crushing fallen leaves with all of my might without a metaphorical meaning in it (all of you psych majors out there, please stop psychoanalyzing me. Thank you). Now, for my haiku:

Jump on fallen leaves,
Drink cider, carve your pumpkins,
Make good use of fall


That's right, I am encouraging you to get out there and enjoy fall while you can. Before you know it, snow will be here and you'll wonder why you didn't get a chance to drink your unfair share of cider from the dining halls (no wonder they run out each weekend); carve horrible, indecent, and occasionally offensive jack o' lanterns to place on your porch; or step on every crumbling leaf and pretend that you're crushing the spines of all of those who have done you wrong in life (not that I do that). So stop reading this, and go outside! Unless of course you're reading this at night, or if it's cold outside. Or if it's not fall right now where you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment