Thursday, February 4, 2010

"No, Professor, I'm not bored- in fact, I'm in a state of ennui right now"

It's almost the weekend! And it's a beautiful day outside! And there's snow on the ground! And I'm not sure what to write about!

Let's see... as I believe I've mentioned before, I'm taking a class called "Decadence." It's incredibly interesting, and we read works that barely count as homework, such as Poe, Oscar Wilde, Baudelaire, Whistler, and other such writers. Apparently all of these authors were known as the "decadent" writers, meaning that they liked aestheticism (or "l'art pour l'art" as they called it) and laziness/boredom (or ennui as they liked to refer to it. Just a fancy way of saying that they're bored). Oh, and they thought death was poetic.

They wrote all of these praiseworthy poems and wonderful works. However, there's a little something I don't understand. Their whole moral system revolves around this ennui.

If they're so lazy
Why do they write full poems
Instead of haikus?

I mean, really. Haikus are just so easy to write on the spot. It seems like it would have made much more sense if these writers wrote them. They're just so much easier. For someone bored with the world, it just seems reasonable. And no, I'm not decadent. If I was, I'd be writing many, many more limericks- trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment