Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Couch Potatoes

Though the impact of the freshman fifteen is not always visible, it's really a ubiquitous presence. Everywhere you look, you see people making diet choices. People choosing to get a salad instead of a burger for lunch, choosing not to get ice cream for the 3rd time that day, or going for a turkey burger instead of a hamburger. Most students are ever-conscious of this legend, and try their best to avoid it. However, from what I've seen, the sole culprit of the freshman fifteen is not food.

The freshman fifteen
Is not caused by poor diet,
But by laziness

First semester, I never really noticed that people were lazy. I walk absolutely everywhere, and so I personally get a good amount of exercise. However, yesterday I overheard a girl complaining to her friend about walking down the stairs. The conversation went something like this:

"Ughhh, why are we taking the stairs? Why don't we wait for the elevator?"
"Because it's not there yet. This will be faster."
"But we're on the third floor!"

Keep in mind, this is going downstairs. Now, I don't know about you, but to me at least, 2 flights of stairs is practically nothing, and definitely not worth complaining about. The same type of scenario applies to the bus system. I will pass people waiting at a bus stop for the bus, and get to where I'm going before the bus even passes me. If it was always faster, I wouldn't be so fast to criticize them, but the fact of the matter is that it is not always faster (though it is always fatter).

And so, to return to my original point- though food plays some part in the freshman fifteen, the real underlying cause is laziness. People just can't bear to move their butts in order to get somewhere, and elevators and buses have become the bane of healthiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment