Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sore Losers

As you should hopefully know (unless you're a Twitter user in the USA, according to Twitter's trending topics location), the State of the Union was last. Obama gave a strong speech, standing in front of Congress and the Supreme Court and other people who I would presume to be important. He spoke of such things that to republicans must have sounded like fairy tales (or ghost stories) their parents would tell them at night ("And then people other than us were able to afford health care!" *insert screams of horror). In any case, he received much support from his fellow Democrats. And behind him the whole time sat Biden and Pelosi, looking like those theatrical tragedy/comedy masks (although occasionally Biden would smile and look remarkably similar to a panda bear). The democrats seemed to clap at every single word and, had I been there, I probably would have just stayed standing- it would have been easier on my leg muscles.

The republicans on the other hand seemed unable to move their hands together. My guess is my haiku:

It would seem that the
Concept of "sore losers" was
Not taught in their schools

I mean, really. You lost, get over it. That's all there is to it. I know that in my rich, predominantly-white school we learned about being sore losers, and were taught not to be. Just because you lost does not mean that you can't laugh when the president says something funny. Just because you lose does not mean that you can't applaud when the president actually says something you agree with. And just because your mommy and daddy bought you stuff in place of love does not mean that you can't try to be respectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment